Other Benefits

  • Tuition Remission


    • Faculty/Staff: Full-time faculty and full-time; regular and full-time term staff members in good standing are eligible for tuition remission benefits for undergraduate and graduate courses, provided that certain requirements are met.
    • Spouse: includes partners to a lawful marriage and Registered Domestic Partners, as defined by State law.
    • Dependent Child: is a child or step-child of a full-time faculty or full-time; regular or Full-time term staff member or eligible retiree. In order to be eligible, a dependent child must be 25 years of age or younger at time of matriculation.
    • Retiree: A faculty or staff member is eligible to retire from the University if the faculty/staff member is (a) an employee in benefit eligible status as defined by the University, and (b) ceases employment with the University after attaining at least the first day of the month in which you reach age 62 and complete 10 or more years of service (5 years of service if you were hired on or after your 55th birthday).
      A faculty or staff member is eligible to retire from the University if the faculty/staff member is (a) an employee in benefit eligible status as defined by the University, and (b) whose age when added to the faculty or staff member's years' consecutive service totals 85 or more (e.g., a faculty or staff member who is 58 years of age with 27 years' consecutive service would be retirement eligible [58+27=85].)

    Taxable Tuition Remission

    Tuition remission benefits for eligible full-time faculty, regular and term staff, qualifying spouses, or qualifying dependent children at an undergraduate level are not taxable.

    According to Internal Revenue Service guidelines, employer-provided tuition remission and educational assistance is taxable in the following cases and the Payroll office will withhold employment taxes:

    • Graduate educational assistance in excess of $5,250 per calendar year for employees.
    • Graduate tuition remission for spouse.
    • Undergraduate tuition remission for children beginning the calendar year in which they can no longer be claimed as a dependent.

    Steps to Apply for Tuition Remission

    1. Review the applicable Tuition Remission policy:
    2. Complete the admission application and be accepted to the University.
    3. Complete a Tuition Remission Application
      • Note: an new application will be required for every semester the tuition remission benefit is intended for
    4. Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if needed.
    5. The Financial Aid & Payroll offices will coordinate to have taxes withheld for graduate tuition remission.


    • For each semester Tuition Remission Applications are due on the first day of class for each semester. No late applications will be accepted.


    CBA Tuition Remission Fact Sheet


    Tuition Exchange

    What is Tuition Exchange?

    • A national organization that administers a reciprocal educational scholarship to provide students with an opportunity to attend a different university than that of the employed family member
    • Over 600 member schools in the program, including LMU

    How do I determine my eligibility for Tuition Exchange?

    • Eligible spouses and children who receive 100 percent tuition remission are able to apply for the Tuition Exchange by completing an online application
    • Read LMU's policy to see if your spouse or child qualify for this award

    Is a Tuition Exchange award guaranteed?

    • No, each of the 600 plus institutions determines the acceptance rates for their individual exchange programs.
    • Research each school's policy, or consult with LMU's Tuition Exchange Liaison officer -  Sharon Jay


    • In addition to participating in the Tuition Exchange, LMU also participates in FACHEX, an undergraduate tuition remission program that allows dependent children of full-time faculty and staff who are eligible for tuition remission benefits at LMU to apply for tuition remission benefits at one of the participating Jesuit Institutions.
    • Read more about the FACHEX program, application procedures and deadlines.
    • Apply for FACHEX by using the EZ Online Application

    Tuition Exchange & FACHEX Deadline

    • The deadline to submit Tuition Exchange & FACHEX scholarship applications is September 30th. No late applications will be accepted.


    Additional Questions?

    Faculty and staff with tuition assistance questions should contact the Benefits Helpline at (310) 338-5757.

  • Faculty & Staff

    • Optional choice of membership in a Credit Union
      • University Credit Union, proud sponsor of LMU Athletics, giving the LMU community a financial advantage since 1993
      • SchoolsFirst Credit Union

    • Direct deposit of paychecks and two ATM machines
    • Use of University services and facilities, including the library at both campuses, fitness center, group fitness classes, basketball courts, tennis courts and swimming pool. Monthly costs are $12/month for an individual and $22/month for families, and are eligible for payroll deductions.
    • Discount tickets to cultural events and entertainment centers
    • Discounts available on many items in the LMU Bookstore


    • Full use of the libraries at both campuses
    • Use of University services and facilities, including library, pool, tennis and racquetball courts and Recreation Center (annual fee $130, $260 annual family fee)
    • Discount tickets to cultural events and entertainment centers.
  • Note: All policies are subject to change from time to time, at the sole discretion of the university. Bereavement

  • Changing Your Benefits During the Year - Qualified Status Changes

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows you to change certain benefit elections during the calendar year only if you have a qualified status change. Qualified status changes include:

    • Marriage, divorce, legal separation, annulment, or death of your spouse;
    • Birth, adoption, placement for adoption, death, or loss of legal custody of your dependent child;
    • Your dependent child is no longer eligible for coverage due to age, student status, or other eligibility criteria;
    • Your spouse starts or stops working;
    • You or your spouse changes from part-time to full-time status or vice versa, and there is a change in benefits;
    • You or your spouse takes an unpaid leave of absence;
    • You, your spouse, or your children have a change of residence;
    • You have a court order to provide medical and dental coverage for your legal dependent children (QMCSO); and
    • Special enrollment events.

    Your request to make plan changes must be submitted to Human Resources within 31 days of the qualified status change. When submitting your request, you must also provide proof of the qualified status change, such as a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, birth certificate/adoption papers, etc. All events listed above qualify as a status change only if they result in a gain or loss of eligibility under the plan. Any changes you wish to make to your coverage must be consistent with the qualified status change. For more information about qualified status changes, contact Human Resources.

  • The University, like other employers, makes payroll deductions for Social Security, Federal and State Income taxes, and State Disability Insurance Tax. The University contributes to each covered employee's Social Security plan, fully pays for Workers Compensation and Unemployment Insurance for each faculty/staff member.

  • LMU offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Health Advocate, a strictly confidential service provided at no cost to full-time faculty and staff members and their household members. Experienced, master's and doctoral level clinicians are available to assist with personal and family concerns, in addition to work-life issues such as legal and financial services, career conflicts, and child care/elder care resources. Guidance consultants are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.