FACHEX is an acronym for Faculty and Staff Children Exchange established by the Conference of Academic Vice Presidents of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in 1971.
Through the FACHEX program, employees who have a tuition remission benefit for their children at their home institution can apply to receive the same benefit at participating Jesuit colleges and universities (listed below) should there be space available and the student meets that school's requirements for FACHEX applicants. Currently, All U.S Jesuit universities except Georgetown are participating in FACHEX.
It is important to realize that FACHEX awards are extremely limited in number, and therefore highly competitive. As a result, no faculty or staff member can be assured of their children receiving a FACHEX award.
Know Your Eligibility
Eligibility requirements are determined by the "importing" institution. If the "exporting" institution grants full-tuition remission to the child of an employee, then the child is eligible to apply for the FACHEX benefit. The FACHEX benefit may only be awarded to full-time undergraduate students.
It is the responsibility of parents and students to research and follow all applicable deadlines/policies for admission and for FACHEX consideration at any participating Jesuit institution.
How to Apply
FACHEX is extremely competitive. Each institution determines how students are selected for a FACHEX award. It is not uncommon for participating Jesuit colleges and universities to receive 60 or more applications each year for 1 to 3 available spots. Participating universities report annually, in late summer, the number of students accepted to other universities and those received by the coordinator's university.
The number of students that receive the FACHEX benefit varies from year to year. For the 2014-2015 academic year, LMU has six students of eligible parents receiving the FACHEX benefit at other participating Jesuit colleges and universities.
Value of the Benefit
FACHEX (if granted) covers tuition only. Any additional expenses incurred by the student such as room, board, university fees, travel related expenses, books, etc., are the sole responsibility of the student and/or the student's family.
Key Points for the Student
- To be eligible for the FACHEX program, the student must be eligible for full tuition remission at the "home" university.
- The student must satisfy the "importing" university's standards for admission before he/she can be considered for FACHEX.
- LMU's FACHEX Coordinator must send certification of the student's eligibility for FACHEX to each Jesuit University to which the student will be applying.
- Eligibility and admission to a participating university does NOT guarantee that a FACHEX award will be granted.
Participating Jesuit Institutions
- Boston College, Boston, MA
- Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
- College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
- Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT
- Fordham University, Bronx, NY
- Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA
- John Carroll University, University Heights, OH
- LeMoyne College, Syracuse, NY
- Loyola College, Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA
- Loyola University, Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Loyola University, New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Regis University, Denver, CO
- Rockhurst University, Kansas City, MO
- Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA
- Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- Saint Peter's College, Jersey City, NJ
- Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA
- Seattle University, Seattle, WA
- Spring Hill College, Mobile, AL
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI
- University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
- Wheeling Jesuit College, Wheeling, WV
- Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH